Friday, September 14, 2012

Inspirations: My Sister

My sister is currently studying fashion design in Central Saint Martin's in London and she has actually become one of my biggest inspirations, and I really have become more inspired as I see the way she grows in her design style from the normal regular beauty of draping to the minimalist forms. What really inspired me was the minimalist forms she created and designed, as I myself really love the idea of minimalism and the beauty of simplicity.

Above are a few pictures of the project she did two years ago in 2010. It is really the unconventional elements that sparked something in me that fashion was no longer just limited to what I saw on the runway or just big poofy skirts or tight bandage dresses; fashion is an art form in itself. Fashion is much more than that. The very fact that it is art means it has a life of its own: it can develop and it can change, even with the few basics retained. It takes on different forms and unconventionality and open-ness is welcome. It can be strange and still be accepted. It doesn't have to be terribly elaborate yet can still make a statement.

That was what had inspired me. It makes me think bigger, bolder and more out of the box in my own fashion design. There are many more possibilities to the cloth than just threads hanging together in a traditional cloth pattern. Perhaps, maybe one day not even cloth will be the absolute medium in fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment