Friday, September 14, 2012

Inspirations: Frontier Danceland

Frontier Danceland is a non profit organisation set up by my dance trainer, Mdm Low Mei Yoke, and actually it has inspired me in many ways. 

It has showed me that dance as an art form is a lot more than just movement or technique but rather it is first centered and built around the emotions to form the dance. It may not be beautiful, and in fact it could be abstract and incomprehensible movement which makes no sense to many but it could mean a million things to those who choose to decipher and understand it. If a picture is worth a thousand words, sitting through one of their performances has got to be more than a billion words. Similarly, even through visual art, I am more inspired to build upon the emotional attachment to the art piece and then continue to layer it but not smother it with what we have, be it technique or just the plain doodle or careless stroke of a brush or pen. It is this strength of emotion from within that really takes the viewer in, not just the technique. Technique in fact can be easily overlooked and once taken away, only leaves the artwork bare and naked, almost with no meaning. This is why even in dance, one has to feel the emotion from within, or even if one's technique is superior, the dance is no longer dance and holds no meaning, only a blank face, mind and blank page as the audience leaves. 

Below is a video of some of the parts of "22.5 minutes subconscious indulgence", one of Frontier Danceland's productions, and let the video show you what I meant through my words in a more expressive and engaging manner.

Certainly, it has inspired me to break out of the technique box once in a while, letting myself control the technique and not the technique controlling me or my soul, then bringing my art to another level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment