Friday, September 14, 2012

Artwork 11: Sketches

Basically for all my sketches below, they were all done in a one liner drawings style which I had personalised by now and I was putting it to use. 
 Sketch of Alexander McQueen S/S 2012 RTW, pencil, 2012
 Sketch of fashion spread photograph, pencil, 2012
 Observational sketch of eyes and human figure/silhouette, pencil 2012
 Sketch of Vanessa's playful expression, pencil, 2012
Sketch of dance photography 1, pencil, 2012 
Sketch of dance photography 2, pencil, 2012

And last but not least, my favourite sketch:
Walking Away, Pencil, 2012

I liked this sketch the most as it was more out of imagination than any real observational drawing or from photographs. Rather, I had decided to add in my own elements and it turned out to be a rather personal piece for me. It symbolised someone in my life who in that point of time was already turning and moving on without me, walking away with a watch dangling from her grip. It was as if time had already run ahead with that person and I was still living in the past as they walked on and traveled into a scenery of woods. It seems rather mythical in a way. Also, the fact that not the entire body has been depicted, gives a sense of mystery to it and rather than really giving away everything, it makes the viewer think more since the work shows them and doesn't tell them what to really think. Also, to highlight the figure, I chose to use clean and sharp lines to outline the figure as well. I also decided to use less strength on the pencil for the background to have lighter lines. In a way, it was also creating a dreamy effect in that sense, as if as a parallel in photography where the aperture is adjusted.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jubilee!
    I must say, I love your sketches!
    1. Many of your sketches have a strong sense of movement in it and they fully capture the tension in the figure's body.
    2. I love the expressiveness in each figure that you drew and the way you portrayed them. The figures give the viewer a sense of freedom as they view it!
    3. I like the style of sketching you used, that is the strong and sharp lines you used to delineate the figures. The sharp lines indeed bring out the figures very well and emphasize their movement.
    Area for improvement: You could have included the entire body of the human figure including the head as the face often intrigues the viewers more than anything else. Maybe you could have played with the expressions of each figure's face to show movement of some sort as well. Nonetheless, good job and keep drawing!

    ReplyDelete