Thursday, September 13, 2012

Artwork 07: Handmade Birthday Present! :)

So basically, this artwork was actually a handmade birthday present for my friend! :) And haha it was one of the times where I touched a paintbrush for the first time in a long time. So basically the concept behind my design for this bottle was simply having a geometric pattern in bright colours. It was not planned as a composition, but rather an improvised one, with a more carefree attitude to it. I was planning to recycle a tin can, and then proceed to design a wrap like paper for being like the covering for the tin can, and then my friend could then store whatever she wished in the decorated tin can. I didn't want to restrict what she would be using the can for.
 Above hows the early stages in the painting of the outside paper. I actually chose to use watercolour paper instead of regular drawing block as it seemed more sturdy and possibly would look better with a more dynamic texture due to the grain in the paper, as compared to a normal flat drawing block, which I felt would cheapen the look of it.
 This shows a later stage, where I added in more colours as well as bold outlines into the design, which would complete the look of the design, as well as cover up any marks where the colours overlapped in an aesthetically unappealing way. Certainly in our syllabus, our thought about art is a lot more open and abstraction and the unconforming type of "ugly art" is accepted. However, I could not practice that on my friend's birthday present or else it would probably just look silly and half-hearted instead.
 My nickname for my friend is Mignomephant as her name is Mignon and I basically combined it with an elephant after a funny conversation we had via SMS XD
Above is the abstracted elephant draft sketch of how the design would look like for the cap of the tin can. I would later paint on the design with acrylic paint :)
 Above is the complete paper with the sections painted in. I wanted to glitter the gold and silver(though not very visible here) parts but I later decided not to as the glitter fell off too easily and would just be messy, so I decided to keep it somewhat simple instead.
Above is the picture of the complete tin can where I have pasted on some gold ribbon onto the base of the can so as to cover up the bottom which didn't particularly look very nice :( I also did the same for the reverse side but I used an extra part of the excess graphic design to cut a circle to place in the middle of the cap. 
 I then started on the card, but I decided to make good use of what I had and I decided to photocopy the painted design and use it for the external design of the card. 
Using my one liner drawing skills, I decided to write Mignon's name in a special way which I had developed in the course of my coursework as shown below. 
Above: My signature one-liner drawing inspired font!

 As you can see in the three pictures above, I decorated the external features of the card such that each letter of her name was in one space of the angular shapes in my geometric design. The reason why I decided to make the card square was because I wanted to give it a slightly more atypical feel from the usual A5 sized card, as well as to ensure that only the design would occupy the space on the outside of the card, and referring back to the earlier picture of the photocopied version of the design, there were white spaces surrounding the design and I felt that it made the card look rather incomplete and more bare than I hoped for it to be. However, I felt that also the nature of the angular shapes on the outer surface of the card were too jarring and to add an element of softness and femininity, I decided to add a cluster of cloth flowers on the corner of the card, and although it contrasted in style with the modern, loud and bright graphic design, the two elements complemented each other and were juxtaposed against one another in an aesthetically refreshing manner. 
 On the inside of the card, I played with the acrylic paints even more, also because I was keen to use the more special colours of my acrylic paint collection. It was fully improvised and actually it was there to take up space due to my rather small handwriting XD but then again, I felt that it made the card more complete. Although it also did not fully tie in with the graphic design from earlier, but the bright colours still gave the elements a link. 

Below are some pictures of the final products!! :)


And of course the complete cap!

Hope you enjoyed this post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment