Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Artwork 02: Design for Class Tee 312'11

Being the only AEP student in my class, I was pushed to do a design for the class tee. Not really complaining, but it's usually the case when you have AEP students in the class :) I was doodling when I did this, and I started to do some graphic design-like patterns, and at first I wanted to do these big angel wings at the back of the tee but I was later told that the t-shirt printers charged by the size of the design to be printed (by sheets of A4 papers), so if it exceeded the surface area of an A4 paper, we would have to pay even more and it could cost us a lot of money, as we were trying to keep under the budget of $20 per person. I then changed the design accordingly. I moved the front design to the back and started to brainstorm for ideas for the front. For the back design, initially I wanted to place all our names inside the design in the form of '312' (my class) but I couldn't do it in the end as the t-shirt printer told me that our names would be too small for the printing. Below is the design with our names and I'm sure you'd agree it's prettier than the one without :) 
So this is the final design on the actual tee :) for the back, at least.
Design for Back of 312 Class Tee, Photoshop, February/March 2011

As for the front, I found some bohemian print photoshop brushes and this easily solved my problems, and it was finally complete! We also managed to stay under budget :) 
Design for Front of 312 Class Tee, Photoshop, February/March 2011

Personally, I don't really love my design (i'm just ok with it). I think I was more worried about having to please the tastes of my classmates rather than really expressing myself in it. It's not the most fantastic design, but I do find it rather original, and it has sort of become a bit of a trademark for me, although I'm not that keen on graphic design. I think the constrictions imposed on me (in this case the stress i felt having to please my classmates) sometimes just puts me off, likewise for the LSC logo I showed you guys in the previous post. It makes me feel compelled to do something against my own will, especially if it carries no meaning for me. This has taught me something that for Coursework this year, I have got to choose something that really means something to me, something special, otherwise I'd probably lose the passion or doing the Coursework and lose the motivation to do it altogether. I guess most of the time actually the process does matter more than the final product itself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment